Sunday, April 29, 2007

Striders vs. Strollers

There are, I have come to realize, two types of people in the world. No, not those who divide people into categories and those who don't, but people who saunter through the world -- "strollers" -- and those who charge forward, legs almost pulling the ground beneath, as though the earth were one enormous treadmill. I am a strider. If I don't watch my pace, I will leave almost anyone behind in my hurry to get wherever it is I'm going.

After defining this division, I got to thinking that perhaps somewhere in this latest half-baked theory there might be some truths of human nature. Perhaps striding and strolling apply to more than just a person's walking pace. I'm not making value judgments here; I think there is value in both approaches. A strider things done faster, but a stroller may see things I miss. Strollers make better cops, striders do well as politicians. Striders are stockbrokers, accountants are strollers. I want a nurse who is a strider, but I'd like my gardener to be a stroller.

George W. Bush -- Stroller
Hillary Rodham Clinton -- Strider
Mick Jagger -- Strider
Keith Richards -- Stroller
Larry Bird -- Strider
Michael Jordan -- Stroller
Tiger Woods -- Strider
Ben Hogan -- Stroller
George Washington -- Strider
Thomas Jefferson -- Strider
Benjamin Franklin -- Stroller

So, which are you? Strider or stroller? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments: