Friday, April 20, 2007

Golf's Holiest Sites


Just as Muslims have Mecca and Medina, Catholics Lourdes, Jews the Wailing Wall, Hindus the river Ganges and Tom Cruise Clearwater, Florida, golfers have their sacred places, as well. Tops on many golfers' lists would be St. Andrews in Scotland, home to the world's oldest golf course. Others might name Pebble Beach, Ballybunion or Bethpage State Park. I've never played any of those places, so what would I know? (And the Scots, who get all self-righteous about the hallowed nature of golf in their land need to be reminded that the game was actually born in Holland.)

My golf holy of holies resides well north of me, on the southern Oregon coast at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. When I walk the links of Pacific Dunes, their premier course, I get a feeling that I imagine is similar to what Saul felt on the road to Damascus; I feel transformed and transported. I feel changed. I feel there is no place on Earth I would rather be in that moment. I can feel the hand of forces greater than myself: why does the wind reach out and grab my ball? Why do I have to putt it in THIS direction to make it go in THAT direction?

Why do you get to hear this today? Simply this: the new edition of the Zagat Guide of America's Top Golf Courses was published this week, and Pacific Dunes is one of two courses to get a perfect 30 rating. (Whistling Straits in Kohler, Wisconsin is the other.) Click here for photos of the place.

I feel a pilgrimage coming on!

No comments: