Friday, February 24, 2006

Pho New York

A couple of weeks ago I gave a recommendation for Pho Phu Quoc, a good Vietnamese restaurant in San Francisco. Well, for readers on the East Coast (or anyone traveling to New York), I have a suggestion for anyone seeking their pho fix.

The place is called Cam Pho Thanh Huong. It's on Canal Street between Broadway and Lafayette. You'll find it in the back of one of the many Canal Street arcades selling jewelry, handbags, sunglasses, watches, etc.

Look for this sign:

In the very back of the arcade you'll see a tiny space with about five tables and a kitchen that's barely big enough for the two people to work. No menu, just a few items on a whiteboard. Pho is great, so are the Vietnamese sandwiches. Cheap, too. You can eat well for $7 -- not something one can say often in New York.

Here's the scene inside:

Not much, I know, but I think my favorite thing about the place is that mine is the only non-Asian face I have ever seen in there.

No comments: