Sunday, January 14, 2007

Real Music from Tim Hockenberry

Go see Tim Hockenberry.

Simple as that.

Who is Tim Hockenberry? I'm tempted to say singer/songwriter, as that is where a marketing type would probably catergorize him. But you could also call him a pianist, bandleader, trombonist...I think the broader term "musician" is best. Tim Hockenberry makes great music.

Before reserving a place at his recent gig at The Empire Plush Room (which closed tonight, so unfortunately, if you want to see him, you'll have to wait), I'd never heard of him. My guess is you haven't either. But after seeing him play, I wouldn't be surprised if his name recognition skyrockets over the next year or so. Of course, the music business being what it is, I also wouldn't be surprised if he remained in relative obscurity. Given his talents and the amazing band he's put together, though, I'm rooting for the former.

It's hard to adequately describe the magic Hockenberry works. But I'll begin with the voice. A cross between Joe Cocker and Randy Newman with a soupçon of Tom Waits, it's a voice that has real presence. A voice that has gravitas -- without seeming to be overpowering. He doesn't load his performances up with aural fireworks, but he always seems to be singing the truth. And that, I think, is very tough to come by.

Next, his amazing band. I didn't write down the names, but they could make some sounds. The guitarist did some great work, and the rhythm section could really lay down a groove. (My favorite being the foundation they laid for "Built for Comfort, Not For Speed.")

Hockenberry also has a great arranger (and if he's doing them himself, it's just too much talent in one man) that gave us incredible versions of The Beatles' "Girl" and "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."

Top that off with the fact that he has a natural stage presence, blows a mean trombone and is also undeniably handsome, I have a hard time understanding why he doesn't have a fat record contract somewhere.

Keep an eye out. Go.

No comments: