Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Epiphanies on the Range

After picking up some matzo ball soup for my ailing daughter, I stopped off at the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. I’m attempting to put into use a new move away from the ball: instead of accomplishing my weight shift onto the right side with my lower body, I’m trying to get more upper body lean in order to get a bigger arc with the club head in order to get more swing speed and therefore greater distance. After about two dozen swings with the 7-iron, I started hitting some 3-woods. I’d hit that club well my last round, and it’s one of my most consistent clubs. I was hitting the ball about 175-180 yards, which isn’t too bad with range balls. (“Real” golf balls have a lot more pop.)

Then, after about three swings with the 3-wood, I readjusted my grip, holding the club more in my fingertips (as I have been taught) and less in the palm of my hand. And then, in that moment, the grip felt right. The club felt light and balanced in my hand. I felt like I would be able to use the flex in the shaft to get more club head speed. For about six swings, I was able to do it. The ball started exploding off the club face and flying 200-215 yards. Then, as quickly as it arrived, the feeling left. But at least I now I know where to look for it.

No comments: