Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bats!


As I stepped outside tonight, just at sunset, I looked up in the sky and saw...well, you've guessed by now. Bats. I love bats. Love watching them. Think they are fascinating, helpful creatures. I remember when I was a kid, lying on the top deck of the houseboat at Trinity Lake, watching the bats come out as the sun went down. (One of my brothers, on the other hand, occasionally got out his shotgun and killed the buggers.) I remember a night in Kyoto, Japan, sitting between two bridges on the river and watching a quite spectacular bat emergence. And now, here they are, right outside my home. Very exciting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

how the heck are you batman?

"alice"

Anonymous said...

wow! thats really cool. i love bats as well!

Anonymous said...

i love bats!
but since im only in high school
and my fascination with them is huge you can guess what i have to put up all day
but i luv bats all the same

*vampyrebat*

canyon naturalist said...

i LOVE bats!they are essential to the world's ecology!people are SO neanderthalish!(ug-ug-me afraid,so me want to kill bat!)--lol
i am in highschool,so i get called "freak "QUITE often.but i don't care.
:)

Unknown said...

Your bats picture is fantastic! I too love bats. They really are something special. http://flickr.com/photos/rocketjaz/2927530904/

Unknown said...

I love bats too. I I don't see them around much where I live but in sydney they're everywhere.

I don't understand why "being in highschool" has anything to do with your love of anything. you guys must be american. who gives a shit who likes what. they're absolutely no reason to think less of anyone for liking anything.

Arty said...

Hi. How interesting. I was searching for a photo of bats and was directed here after following your photo and saw you had a bat blog. I wanted to blog about my experience with a bat also. Just the same as you, I stepped out to my car just at sunset today and a bat was flying around and I must say very close to me. It was fascinating, I just kept staring at it. A great experience.