Monday, July 03, 2006

Vincent Ferrari Fights Back

If you haven't heard of Vincent Ferrari, click here. This link is part of Vincent's blog, a post in which he discusses the reaction to his recording of a conversation with an AOL customer service rep who was very reluctant to fill Mr. Ferrari's request of cancelling his account. There's a transcript of the call, as well as a "Today" show segment on which Mr. Ferrari appeared.

But the main thrust of this post is Mr. Ferrari countering a specific critic of his, a Rob Zarzueta. Although Mr. Ferrari comes off as gentle and patient during his TV appearance, just a simple guy whose story got picked up by the media, his comments at the end of the post make him seem like a bit more of an attention whore than he'd have us believe:

"I guess it’s cool though, because I’ve never heard of Rob before. I imagine a lot of people haven’t. I’ve been blogging for 4 years myself, and reading them significantly longer than that, and Rob’s name never came up. Not once. So congratulations Rob Zarzueta, whoever the hell you are. You got my attention by trying to piggy back on my 15 minutes of fame. I’m sure you’ll get more people linking to you from here than you’ve had read that drivel you write in the past ((insert number of minutes you’ve been blogging here)). I’ll guarantee you one thing, though, L33t boy. One day, people are going to remember this story and what it meant for AOL and customers everywhere.

Do you really think anyone’s gonna remember you (or for that matter the other idiots) for shitting on me?"

It wasn't even 15 minutes, Vince. More like eight. And it wasn't fame so much as it was reflected attention. Nonetheless...wow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It couldn't have just been the crescendo of me taking nothing but shit from people who said I provoked Jon and deserved what I got from him right? Oh no, it's me attention-whoring.

Jeez. I just hope you never have to put up with the volume of shit I'm getting, especially since I did nothing to deserve it.

I was particularly nasty with him because it just felt like he figured he'd get a few hits writing some nasty crap about me, so I laid into him both barrels completely and totally.

Maybe he did catch a disproportionate amount of shit for what he said, but sometimes the last person to push you over the edge gets it worst.

Oh well.