Friday, July 28, 2006

Topographer Policy

For some reason, one of my e-mail addresses has been captured by a spam service that is pushing stocks of emerging companies. It all gets marked as junk by the mail program, but I must say I'm impressed by their methods to lure me into opening the mails. First, the sender is never listed as a business, but always as an individual: "Matilda Sweeny" and "Danny Hamm" and "Loretta" to name a few.

But what really impresses me is what they place in the subject line. Usually two words, clearly generated via software -- the results are just too offbeat and random for them to be created by humans. Certainly not in the volume that must be required. But the combos are sometimes just plausible or interesting enough that you might open it, just to make sure "Matilda" isn't that German tourist you met at the place in North Beach, and "penetentiary ugliness" isn't a new film she thinks you should see.

Here are a few other examples:

cola prompt
gain cessation
huge committable
nostril meet
subject dozens
topographer policy
catty-cornered timber
dairy cattle mantra
payroll embodiment

(NOTE: I've been adding to this list as they continue to come in. Feel free to check back for the next addition, whatever it may be.)
Of course, why anyone would trust somebody who used such a method to gain your attention is beyond me, but I'm certainly impressed by their efforts. Though the e-mails themselves are clumsily done. (Yes, I opened one. How can you not open an e-mail whose subject is "topographer policy"?)

No comments: