Monday, April 18, 2011

New York, April 2011 - Day Five, "House of Blue Leaves"


Two things conspire to make this a brief entry. First, I have deadlines to meet. Paying deadlines. Second, I really need to see this again before I can pretend to make sense of it in a reasoned fashion.

So let's keep this as concise as possible.

The stars -- Edie Falco, Ben Stiller and Jennifer Jason Leigh -- are excellent. Especially Edie as the delusional paranoid agoraphobic (second agoraphobe of the trip!) Bananas.

The set -- stunning.

The play -- a revival of a brilliant, whacked-up maelstrom of desire and broken dreams and insane humor and celebrity-mad nuns-- is hysterical. In several senses of the word. I think it may be a metaphor of humanity coming into self-awareness, but as I said, I need to see it again.

David Cromer -- who helmed my last favorite play in New York, an amazing revival of "Our Town" -- is just as sure-handed here.

Bottom line? Go, if you think you can handle it.

No comments: