Monday, February 05, 2007

Can Rudolph Guide Our Sleigh?


I don't think it's an accident Giuliani chose to announce the same day the Bush White House requested an additional $93 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Giuliani's reputation as an expert manager was certain to stand in sharp contrast to Bush's bumblings. Even before watching Giuliani talking on Fox with Sean Hannity this evening I felt so much more comfortable with the idea of having him in charge than any of the other leading candidates, and certainly more than the current occupant of the Oval Office. I don't think I'm alone. The man is impressive; he speaks simply, seems to think rationally, and exhibits a nice balance of confidence and humility. He has gravitas, but not of the stuffy variety. Add that to the turnaround he oversaw in New York, and his response to 9/11, and I think you have a very desirable candidate. This is not a man who would sit glassy-eyed for seven minutes after being informed the nation was under attack. After eight years of one of the worst managers-in-chief in the history of the country, having the man who made New York City safe and financially secure seems like a pretty good option.

But is he an electable option? If die-hard religious conservatives represent 30% of the vote, that's 30% Rudy will have a hard time pulling in. The two divorces and his positions on gun control and equal rights are going to be major stumbling blocks for those whose faith also dictates their civil life. He needs to find a corresponding bloc of voters who can offset that 30% - people who might otherwise vote for a Democrat, but who appreciate Giuliani's skills and rationality enough to give him their vote.

I don't think Barack Obama has the experience to lead the nation yet, John Edwards doesn't inspire enough trust, and I don't like the way Hillary is handling herself -- that stupid jest about Bill is just the most recent example, but her whole campaign feels insincere to me. Giuliani, on the other hand, feels presidential. The question is, are there enough people out there who might vote Democratic in most races, but would crossover to Giuliani for the big race?

One of the main issues for me is obviously equal civil rights for the GLBT community. There are still more than a dozen states where people can be denied housing or fired from their jobs solely for being gay, for pete's sake. On the most visible gay equality issue, marriage rights, I think Giuliani is taking the best position he can, given the political realities. Here's what he said tonight on Hannity & Colmes:

"I feel the same way about it today that I did eight, ten years ago when I signed the domestic partnership legislation: marriage should be between a man and a woman. It should remain that way. We should be tolerant, fair, open and we should understand the rights that all people should have in our society, and I thought the best answer was domestic partnership. So that you recognize the rights of people that are lesbian and gay and you protect them, but marriage should be between a man and a woman."

In other words (I hope), "Let straight people keep the word 'marriage,' as long as full civil equality is provided to all people." I don't have a problem with that -- if everyone has to obtain a civil union license in order to get the full civil benefits of official couplehood, I don't care if heterosexual couples want to take an additional step of having a church recognize the union, I can get behind that.

1 comment:

Paul Salinger said...

ok, I had to respond to this one. check out my latest posting http://salingerhotline.blogspot.com/.
paul